Sunday, April 1, 2012

Greed - Saturday Centus


I'm cheating.

This is actually what I wrote for the first ever Saturday Centus and after I read it I still liked it...

So I thought I'd cheat and share it again.

The very, very long prompt is bolded!

My untied shoelace changed my life. As I leaned down to re-tie it, I kicked away a few leaves. When I turned my head slightly to look where the leaves had been, I was astonished to see a rubber-banded wad of hundred dollar bills nestled in a little indention in the muddy ground.

I watched as the Dillard's sign grew smaller in the side window.

And I remembered that moment, remembered that stupid shoelace, remembered the mud I wiped from my hands onto my jeans after I had stuffed that wad of money into my pocket.

The clerk at Dillard's was pleased with the big sale she rang up for me.

Until she used her magic counterfeit pen on the hundred dollar bills.

Store security had transferred me to a Sherrif's deputy waiting with handcuffs.

"I can explain," I cried.

"Tell it to the judge," was his dispassionate reply.


To read other, non-cheating links, for week 100, just click here.

post signature

16 comments:

Ms. A said...

I don't remember this! Hahaha, that would be my luck, for real.

Nonna said...

Ack ! Clever and true to life...hope your heroine convinced the police of her innocence !!!

enthusiastically, dawn said...

Oh, Jenny! I love it I wrote a post today and wanted you to read it: Here it is:
http://beneaththesurface-dawn.blogspot.com/2012/04/when-you-least-expect-it-watch-out.html

I will have to check out The Saturday Centus...not sure of what that is I just pop by to read you now and again and love to!

ain't for city gals said...

love this Jenny! I always thought this would happen to me if I ever found lots of cash...but I would try mine in a slot machine!

becky3086 said...

I loved this! Very interesting. You all have much more imagination than I do.

Slamdunk said...

Very creative Jenny. Sounds like the kind of luck that I experience.

Judie said...

Well, I wondered what happened to that phoney money I lost. Now I know! Mwahahahaha!!

Anonymous said...

Oh, that's great. I wasn't around for the first time you posted, so I'm glad you put it up again.

Rosalind Adam said...

You've got to feel for that kid. Ok, Ok so it's fiction but you've still got me feeling sorry for him!

Julie Kwiatkowski Schuler said...

It just figures!

Leovi said...

Ja Ja, awakens my greed ... not that it is more tempting, the wad of bills or tight jeans. Greetings.

Susan Anderson said...

Ahhhh. Just desserts!

;)

anitamombanita said...

Love it. So, remember that post you wrote about your past criminal record? Yeah? Well? Something more you need to tell us?

Hope you feel better soon.

Viki said...

Your the boss of this centus and you can cheat if you want to LOL.

Ames said...

Now that's a good one. And since you've already been arrested over a weiner dog I guess going to the slammer is old hat for you huh. :D~Ames

Pat Tillett said...

Now that would really suck! One second feeling lucky and the next, not so much...

Nice bit of writing Jenny!