Friday, July 13, 2012

(WEDNESDAY)


It was cold out.


Shivery cold.


I fumbled just a bit with the heater in the car.  Living in Arizona, we rarely use it.  But Wednesday morning was 47 degrees at our friend's home up on a mountain on the California coast forest primeval.


47 is darned cold for an Arizona desert girl. 65 degrees colder than home.


We drove off the mountain along a curving, narrow road weaving through towering redwood trees and wispy fog.



We drove off the mountain saddened to leave ocean breezes and the scent of eucalyptus and jasmine.


What a wonderful conclusion to a week long road trip.


Mr. Jenny and I drove the agricultural countryside and talked about our lovely California stop...


Walking and talking in the early morning along the ocean with the joyous distraction of conversation and watching surfers brave the frigid water...


Spending time with old friends and the discovery of putting a lovely face to a beautiful blog friend…


How gracious our hosts were when Mr. Jenny came down with a violent attack of food poisoning…


We chatted.


We took turns driving.


We finally finished listening to all 10 tapes of the John Grisham book.


I am 75 miles from home now.


The outside temperature gage goes up as the atmosphere becomes super-heated by summer in Arizona.


I am excited to be going home.


Excited to see Oskie, the weiner dog…


Excited to see my own bed.


I am too excited to have the patience to write much more on my teensy laptop keyboard,  but I shall close this with a few important facts I learned along the way.


Do NOT stare at Target trucks when you have been driving for a long time. Those red and white circles are oddly hypnotizing and will make you sleepy…very, very sleepy.


It IS possible to make a giant spider using a wrecked Volkswagon bug as a spider head IF you can weld and you have lots and lots of rebar to make giant spider legs out of.


A retractable backscratcher that looks like a miniature purple rake is a very handy tool to take on a trip. Not only can you scratch your back, you can turn down the radio without trying to move your trip-paralyzed-butt. Buy one. They're cool.


Trying to sing the alphabet song in various foreign accents is quite interesting. My accent repertoire is pretty limited, but I did manage to attempt it in Indian, Spanish, French, English and Texan. My best rendition, though, was quite possibly not a foreign accent at all, but rather a Gregorian chant.


61 miles from home. 108 degrees.


PUSHING 51 HOURS OF ROAD TRIP.


(FRIDAY)


We arrived home yesterday to a very happy weiner dog and a tidy house. I love our house/dog sitter!


I do not love the fact that my office computer was fried when I tried to turn it on.


Our computer guys tells us the motherboard is gone, but the hard drive is intact.


I am working on my sweet little red laptop in the interim which is…ummm…oddly crabbiness inducing. No programs, no files, different software, hates my wireless connection and wah, wah, wah...

BUT...

I will be by to visit everyone as soon as I we pick up a new computer and all the data and programs are moved.

I'm sorry I can't share any pictures with you but I can't download AND Mr. Jenny is acting like he's behind on work so I can't borrow HIS computer.


Like I told you...


Wah, Wah, Wah....



post signature

13 comments:

Pondside said...

Welcome home, Jenny! What a trip in just over a week! I saw the photo on Sue's blog and was just a tad envious...
Gregorian Chant alphabet - I'll have to remember that for the next road trip.

Ms. A said...

Welcome home! I expect to see those photos when you get up and running.

"Alone again.... naturally!" said...

Hey, you were pretty close to where I live...well, just a little further north and you could have waved at me! lol....it's always great to get away, but even better to get home!

Susan Anderson said...

It must feel great to be home, but I'm sorry about your computer. At least the hard drive is intact.

Glad you enjoyed your trip. (I enjoyed it, too.)

;)

Cathy said...

My computer always fries after a road trip too! Maybe I should take it with me next time.

Judie said...

There's something so comforting about returning home. When we would drive to Atlanta, a trip I always despised, on the way home, I would always break into tears when I saw the first saguaros. Now I'll be breaking into tears when I catch my first glimpse of the marshes. I'm a happy girl.

21 Wits said...

Road trips are awesome, (your photo just dreamy) but sometimes HOME SWEET HOME, is just what we need!

anitamombanita said...

wah wah welcome home!

Amy said...

I would love to live in the mountains of northern California. Trees, beach, cool weather all rolled into one? Hello, heaven!
There is nothing as exquisite as being away for an extended period and coming home to a tidy house. So happy you experienced that!
I hope your computer gets well soon.

Annesphamily said...

All is well at the Matlock house I see! :)

Busy Bee Suz said...

I'm so glad your trip was wonderful....and I'm really glad you made it home safely to your wiener dog. :)
Rest up!
xoxo

Splendid Little Stars said...

wah indeed!
Hope everything is soon fixed!
Welcome home!

Splendid Little Stars said...

PS: It sounds like a lovely trip--such a beautiful part of the world.
I hope Mr. Jenny has recovered...